Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just Because....

Everyday I am amazed and pleased at how well my little lilac tree is growing. When my mom passed away, just over a year ago, I carefully dug up one of the tiny lilac suckers from her tree hoping that I might be able to nurture it into my own little tree in memory of her and here it is, strong and healthy and growing so beautifully! My mom's neighbour and a dear friend to me during my loss gave me a little tiny Buddha from her garden which I placed in the pot. I love how he settles into the tiny little pebbles and he brought me comfort whenever I came out to admire how mom's tree was doing. We find comfort in many ways and for whatever reason, I needed this little tree to grow. I swore I would take extra special care of it and so over the winter and the cold rainy months I made sure it was well looked after. To my surprise, in the spring, little tiny clovers began sprouting up. My mom was Irish and I truly believe it's a little sign that she is still with me in her own way.

On the weekend, I was over at my dad's and picked up a few precious little items to bring home, a bunt pan that she use to make the most delicious cakes in, an old ceramic coated olive green cast iron cooking pot that I remember her making her spaghetti sauces in when I was little and most precious of all, the Belleek china that I looked for when she first passed away but couldn't find anywhere. I bought her the little sugar bowl when I was a teenager and was so proud of myself for buying what I thought was such a fancy piece of china to match the delicate creamer that she had from her mom. Funny, I knew one day that they would eventually come back to me, and would be even more precious than I always thought they were when mom proudly displayed them. I miss you mom...

3 Lovely Comments:

Sue in Canada said...

Ahh Kathy, I feel for you. We are closing down mum's house and I choose the strangest things to be shipped home here..they will come by ship across the ocean and it will be so strange to have her things around my house. (((hugs))) of course she is looking down on you and staying close.

Izzy said...

What wonderful comforting memories! The lilac tree is doing so well :)
((hugs))

Jo said...

Oh sweetie, what a wonderful post ... i truly feel for you ... and I am so glad that the tree is thriving ... and you mom lives on in you sweetie ... she will always be with you. (((hugs)))